NFTs are a new form of crypto-asset that anyone can use to represent ownership of unique items. They let us create digital tokens for things like art and collectibles, but also for unexpected things like cars and houses. Each NFT is truly a unique asset - it can only have one owner at a time, and that ownership is secured by the Ethereum blockchain. It is not possible to modify, duplicate, or change the ownership of the asset in any way other than through a legitimate blockchain transaction.
NFTs are bought and sold on NFT marketplaces. Anybody can buy NFTs, all that’s needed is an Ethereum wallet and an account on the marketplace where the NFT is being sold.
Creating an Ethereum Wallet
If you don’t already have one, here’s the easiest* way to securely create an Ethereum wallet in a regular internet browser.
*We know - It looks like a lot of steps. But we swear, following this guide you’ll have a secure Ethereum wallet that’s funded with Ethereum in less than 5 minutes.
- Go to MetaMask and install the secure browser extension for the browser you’re most comfortable with: https://metamask.io/download.html
- Choose “Get Started.”
- Select “Create Wallet.”
- Create a password.
- Definitely write down the secret phrase it gives you. This is super important. It is your only way to recover access to your account should you lose your password. Like really definitely the only way, so make sure you've got it stored in a safe place.
- Tap “Next” to confirm your secret phrase.
That’s it, you’ve created your Ethereum wallet. It is permanent, secure, and ready to be funded. Let’s get to it.
Funding your Ethereum Wallet
MetaMask is tightly integrated with a secure processor called Wyre. Wyre lets you use your debit card to purchase Ether directly and (almost) instantly. Here’s how it works:
- Open the MetaMask browser extension.
- Tap “Buy.” Or, select “Directly Deposit Ether” if you already have some in another account.
- Click “Continue to Wyre.”
- Choose how much ether you’d like to buy. Spoiler alert: There’s a transaction fee, so buy all the ether you need now to avoid additional transaction fees.
- Click “Next.”
- Enter your payment information and phone number.
- Tap “Submit.”
- Enter in the payment authentication code you received on your phone.
- Authorize the purchase by entering the six-digit code for a pending Wyre transaction in your bank account.
That’s it, you're the blockchain's newest cryptoinvestor - you’ve purchased some Ether! It’ll likely take a few minutes to be available in your MetaMask account. As soon as you see the Ether in your MetaMask extension, you’re ready to buy NFTs.
This part’s the easiest. Most exchanges work a lot like eBay. We’ll use OpenSea as an example, because it’s tightly integrated with the MetaMask wallet we created. To start, simply go to https://opensea.io/wallet/
- OpenSea uses your MetaMask account. So go ahead and click the "Sign In" button.
- Click the "Connect" button. You're now signed in to OpenSea, and your Ethereum wallet is connected to your account.
- Once you're logged in, click the "Browse" button in the top nav to see what's available for sale in the marketplace.
- See something you like? Click the "Buy Now" button to instantly purchase for the set price, or click the Make Offer button lower down on the page to make a bid on the item.
- Some auctions will require you to "Convert ETH" - click the Convert ETH button you're all set.
- Once you've completed your purchase, you'll see your purchased NFT in your "Activity" page on OpenSea.
Buying probably the coolest NFT ever
In addition to this fine piece of artwork, the winner of the MeowMint NFT auction will receive:
- A half-day creative working session with the Mischief creative team*, the cats behind recent breakthrough campaigns like Hypocrisy for Jay-Z's cannabis brand MONOGRAM, Dictators with deepfake Kim jong-un and Vladimir Putin, and Send Noods for Kraft Mac and Cheese. Google them. You won't be disappointed.
- A feature post on Mischief's litty Instagram channel.
- One very sweet and functional Mischief fanny pack.
* We're reserving the right to decide if we want to work with the winner. If you're trying to get publicity for something unkind, inhumane, or just generally mean-spirited, trust us, don't bother bidding.